Tiger Woods is back to hitting full shots on the driving range, according to USA Today’s Steve DiMeglio.
The former world no. 1 last hit a full golf shot at the PGA Championship in August, but started hitting balls again last week as he continues to rehabilitate from yet another injury. Consulting with his doctors daily, Woods had been limited to chipping and putting, but he’s now making fuller swings.
Woods had back surgery on March 31 and took time away from competition for a few months before attempting to make a comeback in early July at the Quicken Loans National, where he plays tournament host. Woods, who withdrew from the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational held the week before the season’s final major, still competed in the PGA Championship, but missed the cut, shooting six-over through 36 holes.
Following that, he pulled out of his previous tournament and corporate appearance commitments in the fall to recuperate his back. His plan is to return at his event, the Hero World Challenge, at Isleworth in Orlando on December 4-7.
“The doctors said he could hit golf balls again, and he’s listening to his doctors and to his body,” Woods’ agent, Mark Steinberg, told USA TODAY Sports on Monday. “He will keep listening to his doctors and body.
” … He’s feeling pretty good.”
Woods played eight times internationally in 2014. His best finish was T25 at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in March.
In my humble opinion, he should’ve shut it down for the season after enduring back surgery and just focused on rehabilitating. But, I’m assuming the fierce competitor in him couldn’t stand the thought of that (not to mention his ego). Hopefully, his premature return doesn’t impede him in his second attempt to come back from the surgery as he’ll continue to have his eye on securing his 15th major in 2015.