Open thread time! The Torrey Pines North Course put up about as much fight as the 2004 US Ryder Cup team yesterday (what, too soon?), yielding two 62s, a 63 and host of 64s.
Today, as those who dominated Thursday’s leaderboard transition to the trickier South Course, a degree of equilibrium should be restored.
Points of (dis)interest:
- Phil Mickelson. Lefty teed off today in a tie for 147th place. Wherefore art his golf game?
- Remember when Andres Romero was the most exciting player in world golf?
- Say what you like, but Rod Pampling will forever be the man who led the 1999 Open Championship after the first round only to miss the cut the following day.
- Who’ll have a more successful professional career: Walker Cup star Harris English or Danny Lee, once the youngest ever winner on the European Tour?
- Who would win in an actual fight: Dustin Johnson or Pat Perez?