The Daily Beast’s Gerald Posner files a new report that paints a more detailed portrayal of the events leading up to Tiger Woods’ mysterious car “accident” on Thanksgiving night. Posner spoke with two unnamed sources who provide him with information they discussed with Tiger’s wife, Elin Nordegren.
The story includes the following revelations:
- Just before Tiger’s affair with Rachel Uchitel was reported in the National Enquirer, he put Uchitel on the phone with his wife for a half-hour, so she could convince Elin the relationship was platonic.
- Elin confirmed her lingering suspicions about Tiger’s affair with Uchitel by impersonating her husband in text messages with Uchitel, prompting the rage that led to Woods fleeing his house.
- Tiger had taken the sedative Ambien that night, and was in a stupor when Elin woke him following her sting operation on Uchitel.
- After his wife’s wakeup, Tiger sent Uchitel a panicky text warning her that Elin had discovered the affair and implying that divorce was imminent. Elin quickly found this text as well, which precipitated her chasing him out of the house with a golf club.
- Tiger did not immediately return home when he was released from the hospital, likely explaining why Elin did not accede to much-publicized requests from visiting police officers to chat with Woods.
All of which supports what many have speculated from the get-go — and is actually pretty similar to the email chain story originating from a golf discussion board that flooded everyone’s inbox last month. If accurate, it only calls more questions to the preferential treatment Tiger received during the police investigation. Neither of Posner’s sources could explain how the rear windows of Tiger’s Escalade had been broken. And if anything, Tiger’s “smash and rescue” story now ranks even higher on the BS meter.
So what’s the status on Tiger and Elin’s marriage? One of Posner’s sources claims Elin is still enraged, but will wait for Tiger to complete treatment in rehab before making a decision whether to divorce him.